I was reading the newspaper at the airport (where else) and came across a great article in USA TODAY that ranked the top 10 healthy chain-restaurant breakfasts. For those of us on the go, these are some great suggestions for starting the day off on the right foot!
Editors at Health magazine gave USA TODAY an advance look at their top 10 picks for healthy chain-restaurant breakfasts, which will be featured in the March issue. To make the magazine’s list of the healthiest fast-food breakfasts, the meals had to be no more than 400 calories, be low in saturated fat and have a good mix of protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats.
THE TOP 10
1. Cosi’s spinach Florentine breakfast wrap, 334 calories.
2. Starbucks’ protein artisan snack plate with a hard-boiled egg, cheddar cheese and apple slices, multigrain muesli bread, grapes and honey-butter spread, 370 calories.
3. Jamba Juice’s berry topper ideal meal, 12 ounces, made with yogurt, soy milk, strawberries, blueberries, banana and topped with pumpkin flaxseed granola, 300.
4. Au Bon Pain’s apple-cinnamon oatmeal, 12 ounces, 280 calories.
5. Denny’s scrambled egg whites, chicken sausage and fruit, 230 calories.
6. McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal, without brown sugar, 260 calories.
7. IHOP’s simple and fit veggie omelet, 320 calories.
8. Subway’s Western egg white and cheese muffin melt, 160 calories.
9. Dunkin’ Donuts’ egg white turkey sausage wake-up wrap, 150 calories.
10. Panera Bread’s breakfast power sandwich, made with Vermont white cheddar and smoked lean ham, 330 calories.